Sound is an important factor in creating an ideal sleep environment.
How to control noise levels:
- Consider music: nature and ocean sounds can help with relaxation and sleep.
- Try a relaxation CD.
- Consider white noise machines. Some companies specialize in “sound conditioners” that drown out noise.
- Earplugs, earphones, pillow speakers, and TV timer (for both light and noise).
- Check your alarm clock: If you and your partner wake at different times, consider a vibrating alarm clock that fits in your pillowcase so it doesn’t disturb your partner.
- If you have a TV in your room, do you or your partner sleep with it on? How loud is it? Consider removing TV from the bedroom.
Source: Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health by Michael Breus, 2006, p. 96-97