- Learn how to eyeball a real portion size. You should learn how to eat foods in the right amounts with absolutely no calorie counting involved. If you spend one week measuring, portion control will become automatic. You’ll know just by looking how much cereal or pasta or meat you should eat.
- Embrace fiber as your best friend. Learn how to maximize your fiber intake to help stabilize blood sugar levels, which in turn suppresses your appetite. Fiber feels heavy in your stomach, an fills you up faster on fewer calories.
- Eating certain fats can actually help you shed fat! Maximize healthful sources of fat, such as the fat found in fish. Fish in particular has been shown to make the body more responsive to leptin, a hormone responsible in satiety. That means you’re more likely to stop eating when you’ve consumed enough calories.
- Pile on the veggies and fruits! These gems will help you fill up on very few calories. They are packed with fiber, and they’re great for your health. Aim to eat five to seven servings a day and love every minute of it.
- Most of us consider hunger a foe, but in the quest to shrink your fat zones, you really need to make it a friend. Eat only when you feel truly hungry. This is important because many people eat for all sorts of other reasons, such as out of habit, for celebration, for energy, or for comfort. Get in touch with your body and learn to nourish it with the foods it needs to help you feel happy and satisfied.
- Learn to tackle what can be the greatest saboteur of any new eating plan: cravings. Substitute other activities to help you overcome cravings, filling yourself up on noncalorie, nonfood, soul-satisfying options.
Source- Shrink Your Female Fat Zones: Lose Pounds and Inches From Your Belly, Hips, Thighs, and More by Denise Austin (2003)
Lecture from the University of South Florida College of Arts and Sciences — How Bad Science and Big Business Created The Obesity Epidemic
David Diamond, Ph.D., of the University of South Florida College of Arts and Sciences shares his personal story about his battle with obesity. Diamond shows how he lost weight and reduced his triglycerides by eating red meat, eggs and butter.