According to obesity specialist Gus Prosch, Jr. MD, a physician who practiced in Birmingham, Alabama, until his death in 2005, there are seven truths about obesity:
- If you’re obese, you have a lifetime disease.
- Your metabolic processes will always tend to be abnormal.
- You cannot eat what others eat and stay thin.
- Anyone can lose weight and stay slim provided the causes of weight gain are determined, addressed, and corrected.
- Understanding insulin metabolism is the key to losing weight intelligently.
- There is absolutely no physiological requirement for sugar or processed foods in your diet.
- You must address all the contributing factors causing obesity. (p.22)
Rubin, J. 2008. Perfect Weight America. Lake Mary, F.L.: Siloam.